Rebels Look to Get Back in Win Column
The Tascosa Rebels will try to bounce back from their first loss of the season as they host the Frenship Tigers tonight at Dick Bivins Stadium.
Tascosa lost to undefeated Midland Lee on the road last week to fall to 5-1 on the season and 1-1 in District 2-6A. Frenship has struggled all season and is 0-6 on the year and 0-2 in district.
Fans can listen to the game on Newstalk 940-KIXZ beginning with pregame at 6:30 p.m.
- The NFL matchup tonight should be a good one. The Philadelphia Eagles play at the Carolina Panthers. Both teams are 4-1 this season.
-- The San Francisco 49ers won't be forcing their players to stand during the national anthem, safety Eric Reid said Wednesday. Reid, the first player to join Colin Kaepernick in protest last season, said he had a conversation recently with 49ers CEO Jed York, who indicated he will continue to support his players if they decide to kneel during the national anthem to protest social injustice.
NFL owners will have their annual fall meeting in New York next Tuesday and Wednesday, and the league has invited the players' union to take part as the league discusses whether to make it mandatory for players to stand during the national anthem.
- Didi Gregorius homered twice as the New York Yankees beat the Cleveland Indians 5-2 in Game 5 on Wednesday night to complete its comeback from a 2-0 deficit in the Division Series and dethrone the AL champions. The Yankees move on to meet the Astros in the ALCS.
- Stephen Strasburg shook off an illness and pitched seven dominant innings, Michael Taylor hit a late grand slam and the Nationals beat the Chicago Cubs 5-0 on Wednesday to send their NL Division Series to a decisive Game 5. Strasburg went seven innings, struck out 12 , allowed three hits and walked two. Game five is tonight in Washington.
- The Dallas Cowboys have released cornerback Nolan Carroll, the second significant free agent let go this season. Carroll left a loss at Denver in Week 2 with a concussion and didn't play again. The eighth-year player practiced last week but was inactive in a loss to Green Bay. The Cowboys released defensive tackle Cedric Thornton before the start of the regular season.
– The West Texas A&M men’s soccer team looks to keep its five-game unbeaten streak alive as it plays at No. 18 St. Edward’s today. The Buffs have the third-best Heartland conference record and lead the West Division with a 5-2-1 league mark. St. Edward’s leads the South Division with a 6-1-1 record.