Local Sports Headlines – Great Individual Performances in HS Baseball
There were several outstanding individual efforts in high school baseball yesterday.
The Randall High baseball team moved closer to a playoff berth yesterday with a 12-2, five-inning win over Palo Duro. Nate Hampton led Randall with three hits and four RBI. Heston Kjerstad had a two-run homer as well.
- The Raiders could have clinched a playoff berth if not for Dumas upsetting Amarillo High 7-5. The Demons broke a 3-all tie and took the lead for good with three runs in the fifth and one more in the sixth.
Canyon won over Plainview 7-0 to move into a first-place tie in District 3-5A with the Sandies. The Eagles Tanner King tossed a 1-hitter on the mound and drove in three runs at the plate. Bryson Barrett slugged a three-homer in the win.
Caprock topped Hereford 9-7 as the Longhorns finally pick up that elusive first district win.
In 2-6A, Tascosa fell to Odessa Permian 5-3. Bushland won again in 1-4A, beating Dalhart 11-1 in six innings. River Road lost to Friona 16-7. San Jacinto Christian pitchers Colin Richardson and Hogan Karr combined to no-hit Midland Trinity 13-1 in a five-inning run-rule victory.
- In softball, Caprock beat Amarillo High 7-3 in nine innings yesterday to clinch the final playoff berth out of 3-5A. Caprock will face Lubbock Coronado in the first round of the playoffs this weekend
– The West Texas A&M women’s golf team fired a final round 306 on Tuesday, finishing second at the 2017 Lone Star Conference Women’s Golf Championship at the Frisco Lakes Golf Club in Frisco. Tarleton State won the nine-team tournament with a 595 score. The Lady Buffs now will await a berth in the NCAA Super Regional scheduled for May 8-10 at Wichita Falls Country Club.
– The Buffaloes men’s golf team fired a final round 305 on Tuesday, finishing fifth at the 2017 Lone Star Conference Championship.
- The West Texas A&M track and field teams continue to have impressive outdoor seasons and that is reflected in the national rankings. The Lady Buffs stayed atop the U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Association (USTFCCCA) rankings for a fourth consecutive week. The Buffs moved up four spots to No. 13 in the latest men’s rankings.
- Kawhi Leonard had 28 points and the San Antonio Spurs rebounded from two discouraging road losses to beat the Memphis Grizzlies 116-103 last night and take a 3-2 lead in their first-round series
- James Harden had 34 points and the Houston Rockets overcome a 47-point game by Russell Westbrook to get a 105-99 victory over the Oklahoma City Thunder last night. Houston takes the series 4-1 and the Rockets advance to the Western Conference semifinals 4-1.
The Utah Jazz took a three-games to two lead in their series with the Clilppers, defeating LA 96-92.
- Ervin Santana delivered his fourth straight outstanding start and the Minnesota Twins pounded the Texas Rangers 8-1 last night.
- Dallas Keuchel pitched a complete game and the Houston Astros beat the Cleveland Indians 4-2 last night.