Local Sports Headlines – Lady Buffs’ Season Ends in Loss to Ashland
Number one ranked Ashland Univerity was too much for the West Texas A&M Lady Buffs in the NCAA Women's Elite Eight in Columbus, Ohio on Tuesday.
The 8th seeded Lady Buffs put up a good fight but it wasn't enough in an 82-67 loss that ended their season at 26-9. The big difference in the game was turnovers as WT committed 25 for the game and the Eagles turned WT’s 25 miscues into a 32 points off turnovers. WT was led by three seniors in double figures as Lilley Vander Zee posted 18 points and nine rebounds in her final game as a Lady Buff, while Alie Decker scored 18 points with five triples and Sasha Watson finished her storied four-year career with 11 points and four steals.
- It was a busy day of district baseball games for local high school teams. The top matchup had state-ranked Amarillo High hosting Canyon and the teams battled 12 innings and still couldn't decide it. The game was suspended due to darkness with the score tied 3-3. The teams will pick up play today at 4:30 p.m. at Sandie Field at John Stiff Park.
Other Tuesday Games:
Palo Duro 8, Dumas 3
Randall 14, Caprock 0 (5 innings)
Midland High 10, Tascosa 5
Bushland 9, Lubbock Trinity Christian 4
Clarendon 18, River Road 6
- The 12-ranked Canyon softball team won another District 3 5-A contest yesterday. The Lady Eagles beat Dumas 9-5.
Hereford's Abrie Castillo tossed a no-hitter in a win over Palo Duro. Caprock beat Plainview 6-1.
Amarillo High and Randall were supposed to play but no umpires showed up so the game was rescheduled for today at 4:30 p.m. today.
Tascosa lost to Odessa High in a run-rule decision 16-1.
Bushland beat Pampa 8-3. River Road run-ruled Dimmitt 32-0.
- TCU has made the NIT semifinals for the first time in school history. The Horned Frogs beat Richmond last night 86-68 to advance. TCU will play the winner of tonight's game between Central Florida and Illinois.
Georgia Tech also moved to the semifinals with a 74-66 win over Ole Miss.
- Kawhi Leonard hit the go-ahead jumper with 54 seconds to play to help the San Antonio Spurs to a 100-93 victory over the Minnesota Timberwolves last night.
- The Golden State Warriors beat the Dallas Mavericks 112-87 last night in a matchup of the Curry brothers. Stephen Curry, two-time MVP and the older of the brothers, had 17 points and nine assists for the defending NBA champion Warriors. Seth Curry had
10 for the Mavs.
- Texas Rangers catcher Robinson Chirinos has signed a new contract through 2018 that also includes a club option for 2019.
- The World Baseball Classic wraps up tonight with a rematch between Puerto Rico and the United States. The Americans edged Japan 2-1 in the semifinals while Puerto Rico beat the Netherlands 4-3. Puerto Rico beat Team USA, 6-5 last Friday, with a ninth-inning rally by the Americans falling just short.