Venom Impressive in Opening Playoff Game Win – Sports Headlines
For the third straight year, the Amarillo Venom have made it to the Champions Indoor Football Division Final.
The Venom rolled past the Duke City Gladiators 70-41 on Saturday to move into the final four. Amarillo will host the Texas Revolution on Monday, June 19th in the South Division championship game. Texas won a thriller with Dodge City to advance.
- Cal State Fullerton, TCU, Florida State and LSU wrapped up their NCAA baseball super regionals to clinch spots in the College World Series. The Titans, Horned Frogs, Seminoles and Tigers will join Oregon State, Louisville and Texas A&M in the CWS, which starts Saturday in Omaha, Nebraska. The last bid will be decided Monday.
- Max Scherzer struck out 10 to move past 2,000 for his career, but was outpitched by Austin Bibens-Dirkx and the Texas Rangers beat the Washington Nationals 5-1 for a sweep of their weekend series. Scherzer has 2,005 career strikeouts after fanning at least 10 batters seven times this season. He allowed three runs _ two earned _ and three hits in 7 1/3 innings.
- The Angels used a six-run fifth inning and to take a 12-6 win over the Houston Astros on Sunday.
- The Major League Baseball draft gets underway tonight, and covers 40 rounds over three days. The AL Central-leading Minnesota Twins have the first pick because of their majors-worst 103 losses last year. The previous time the Twins had the overall No. 1 choice was 2001, when they took high school catcher Joe Mauer. After the Twins, the following four picks belong to Cincinnati, San Diego, Tampa Bay and Atlanta.
- Sidney Crosby was awarded his second consecutive Conn Smythe Trophy as the MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs, and the Penguins became the first team to repeat as champion in nearly two decades with a 2-0 win over the Nashville Predators in Game 6. Crosby became only the third man to win back-to-back Conn Smythe trophies.
-The Golden State Warriors will try again to close out their second championship in three years as they play Game 5 against the Cleveland Cavaliers. Golden State is up 3-1 in the best-of-seven series, just as they were last season before LeBron James and the Cavs rallied to stun the Warriors and claim the title. Cleveland trailed 3-0 in this year’s finals before winning Game 4 on their home court last week. Tonight’s game five is tonight in Oakland.
--Daniel Berger won the PGA Tour's FedEx St. Jude Classic in Tennessee. Berger shot 10-under to win by one shot and repeat as St Jude champion.
- Here at home, Geoff Phemister won the Michelob Ultra City Men’s Championship at Ross Rogers Mustang Course on Sunday. Phemister edged Jorey Knutson 2 &1 in the final to take the title and qualify for the Coors Tournament of Champions in August.