Life Before Ginger Nelson, Amarillo Mayors From the Beginning
Amarillo has had many leaders over the years, let's look back at some of the past Mayors of this city.
Ginger Nelson - Current Mayor
Let's talk a minute about Mayor Nelson. I truly believe that she has taken more flack from the public than any other mayor in the past. She is blamed for every little thing, and those that don't like her really don't like her and aren't afraid to show their disdain.
I truly believe, and this could be a little controversial, but if Mayor Nelson was a man, she wouldn't be treated the way she has been. I don't agree with everything she has done, but some of the things that are thrown at her are unwarranted. I also believe that Mayor McCartt wasn't treated fairly.
So now that I"m off my soapbox here are Amarillo's past Mayors.
Paul Harpole - Served 2011-2017
- Fought against graffiti in Amarillo, passed an anti-graffiti ordinance.
- Many don't know that Mayor Harpole, was Mayor when talks about a new baseball stadium and parking garage began. However, the company the city was working with shut down, causing a huge controversy.
- Texting and driving ordinance was passed in Amarillo
- Spoke out about the large amounts of refugees being brought into Amarillo.
Debra McCartt - Served 2005-2011
- Amarillo's first female Mayor
- Activated City of Amarillo's Emergency Management Organization to help Hurricane Katrina evacuees coming to Amarillo
- Triple-A Bond Rating
- New bridge at 3rd and Grand
- Airport Renovation
Trent Sizemore - Served 2001 -2005
- Was Mayor when Space Shuttle Colombia exploded killing Amarillo native Rick Husband
- One of Amarillo's loved Mayors
Kel Seliger - Served 1993 - 2001
Went on to serve as a Texas State Senator
Other Amarillo Mayors:
1989-1993 Keith Adams
1987-1989 Glen Parkey
1981-1987 R. P. (Rick) Klein
1977-1981 Jerry H. Hodge
1975-1977 John C. Drummond
1971-1975 L. Ray Vahue
1967-1971 J. Ernest Stroud
1963-1967 F. V. Wallace
1961-1963 Jack Seale
1959-1961 A. F. Madison
1957-1959 J. R. Armstrong
1955-1957 R. C. Jordan
1953-1955 S. T. Curtis
1949-1953 E. H. Klein
1947-1949 L. R. Hagy
1941-1947 Joe A. Jenkins
1932-1941 Ross D. Rogers
1929-1932 Ernest O. Thompson
1925-1928 Lee Bivins
1923-1924 Eugene S.Blasdel
1917-1922 Lon D. Marrs
1915-1916 J. N. Beasley
1913-1914 J. N. Beasley
1912-1913 W. E. Gee
1910-1912 James N. Patton
1908-1910" Lon D. Marrs
1906-1908 Will A. Miller, Jr.
1902-1906 S. Lightburne
1899-1902 R. L. Stringfellow
1894-1899 "Government Enjoined"
1892-1894 W. W. Wetsel
I guess we'll see what the future holds for the next Mayor of Amarillo, but until then, keep in mind, you don't have to agree with the government and who is in charge, but please respect the office, and don't be mean.