Lady Buffs, Buffaloes Win All-Conference Awards – Local Sports Headlines
A total of eight members of West Texas A&M basketball teams were honored last night during the annual Postseason Awards Banquet in Allen, Texas.
Senior guard Sasha Watson highlighted four Lady Buffs who were honored. Watson earned first team honors for the third-straight year and named to the Lone Star Conference All-Defensive Team for the second-straight season.
Also, seniors Alie Decker and Maddison Wild were third team selections, while senior Lilley Vander Zee also earned a spot on the All-Defensive Team.
On the men's side, Junior guard David Chavlovich was named to the All-LSC 1st Team while Jordan Evans picked up 2nd Team accolades. Eric Golightly Jr. and Ryan
Quaid were honored for their efforts in the classroom, being named to the All-LSC Academic Team.
Both WT teams will begin play in the LSC Tournament on Friday.
- Regional rankings were released yesterday and both West Texas A&M teams are still in good position to make the NCAA playoffs. The Lady Buffs and Buffaloes are
both ranked third in the South Central Region. The top eight teams in each division will make the South Central Region Tournament.
- One day after being named the LSC Softball Hitter of the Week, West Texas A&M's Ashley Hardin was also named the Louisville Slugger/NFCA Division II National
Player of the Week.
- Three girls basketball teams from the Texas Panhandle will be on the court today at the UIL Girls State Tournament in San Antonio.
8:30 am 1A Nazareth (33-1) vs. Slocum (25-9)
3:00 pm 3A Canadian (31-3) vs. Goliad (29-7)
7:00 pm 5A Canyon (29-3) vs. Mont Belvieu Barbers Hill (34-4)
- Both Tascosa basketball teams had very strong seasons, and that was reflected in the 2-6A All-District teams announced yesterday. The District champion
Tascosa boys earned four of the five superlative awards led by most valuable player senior guard Shahada Wells. senior forward Jabri Dixon as defensive player of
the year; 5-10 sophomore guard King Doerue as newcomer of year; and sixth-year Tascosa Steve Jackson was named coach of the year.
The co-2-6A champion Tascosa Lady Rebels earned most valuable player in junior forward Ka’lia Smith and co-coach of the year Betsy Baughman. Monasia Pierson, and
Brooke Walterscheid also made the first team.
- Behind 18 points from Keenan Evans and 15 points from Justin Gray, Texas Tech halted a three-game Big 12 losing streak and beat Texas 67-57 last night. Aaron
Ross finished with 13 points and six rebounds for the Red Raiders.
- The Houston Rockets hit 20 of 52 on 3-pointers in a 122-103 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers last night. Ryan Anderson added 23 points, including a team
-high six 3s, as the Rockets won for the seventh time in nine games.
- Kawhi Leonard had 31 points and 10 rebounds, and the San Antonio Spurs returned from an eight-game road trip to beat the Indiana Pacers 100-99 last night.
Leonard hit a turnaround, fade-away jumper from 16 feet with 2.4 seconds left to win it.
- Paul Millsap scored on a drive with 30.5 seconds remaining and the Atlanta Hawks held off the rallying Dallas Mavericks for a 100-95 victory last night.