Texas Tech is No. 5 National Seed in NCAA Baseball Tournament
The field of 64 teams competing for the 2017 NCAA Division I Baseball Championship was announced today by the NCAA Division I Baseball Committee.
The national top eight seeds are Oregon St. (49-4), North Carolina (47-12), Florida (42-16), LSU (43-17), Texas Tech (43-15), TCU (42-16), Louisville (47-10) and Stanford (40-14).
The Southeastern Conference (SEC) leads the way with eight teams selected. Both the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) and Big 12 Conference have seven participants in the field.
Texas Tech will host a four-team Regional in Lubbock beginning Friday.
#1 *Texas Tech (43-15) vs. #4 Delaware (34-21), 3 p.m., ESPN3
#2 Arizona (37-19) vs. #3 Sam Houston St. (40-20), 7 p.m., ESPN3
Houston Regional hosted by Houston
#1 *Houston (40-19) vs. #4 Iowa (38-20), 8 p.m., ESPNU
#2 Baylor (34-21) vs. #3 Texas A&M (36-21), 3 p.m., ESPN2
Fort Worth Regional hosted by TCU
#1 *TCU (42-16) vs. #4 Central Conn. St. (36-20), 9 p.m., ESPN3
#2 Virginia (42-14) vs. #3 DBU (40-19), 4 p.m., ESPNU
Texas will play in the Long Beach Regional against UCLA.
Big 12 Tournament champion Oklahoma State will head to the Fayetteville Regional and will play Missouri State.
- In softball, Baylor, Oklahoma, and Texas A&M are among the teams headed to the College World Series. Oklahoma and Baylor will meet each other on Thursday in Oklahoma City. Texas A&M will meet Florida.
- The UIL State Volleyball Tournament is set for later this week. The Canyon Lady Eagles will head for McCombs Field, at the University of Texas in Austin for the 5A state semifinals. It’s the first time for Canyon at the softball state tournament.
Friday 9:00 am 5A Semifinal Canyon (35-4) vs. The Colony (31-7)
Friday 12:00 pm 5A Semifinal Willis (40-7) vs. Dripping Springs (35-8)
5A Championship Final Saturday at 3 p.m.
- The Tampa Bay Rays scored five runs in a span of three pitches to beat Texas 10-8 last night, ending the Rangers' eight-game home winning streak.
- Carlos Beltran homered and singled during an 11-run burst in the eighth inning, and the Houston Astros overwhelmed the Twins 16-8 yesterday in a matchup of AL division leaders.
NHL Stanley Cup Final Game One – Pittsburgh 5, Nashville 3….Game 2 is Wednesday night in Pittsburgh.
- Tiger Woods said in a statement yesterday that an "unexpected reaction" to prescription medicine - not alcohol - was the reason for his arrest on suspicion of DUI. Woods spent nearly four hours in jail before he was released on his own recognizance. He said he understands the severity of the incident and takes full responsibility.