Student-Athletes Sign Letters of Intent
The NCAA's early signing period began Wednesday with three area student-athletes signing Division-1 letters of intent.
Valley High School's Jake Merrill signed to run track for Baylor, basketball standout Jenna Cooper of Claude signed with Abilene Christian University and Dalin Williams of West Texas High in Stinnett signed a basketball letter with Northwestern Louisiana.
- The West Texas A&M women's basketball team landed three players on the first day of the signing period. The school announced the signing of 6-foot forward Braylyn Dollar of Lubbock Monterey, Mary Rose Foster, a 6'0" Forward from Frisco, Texas and Reedy High School, and Delaney Nix, a 5'8" Guard from Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
- West Texas A&M heads into the final weekend of the regular season still in the NCAA Division II volleyball playoff picture. The Lady Buffs remained eighth in the latest South Central Regional rankings announced on Wednesday. WT will rap-up the regular season on the road this weekend as they take on Texas Woman's on Friday night in Denton followed by a showdown with Texas A&M-Commerce (2 p.m.) on Saturday afternoon.
- In high school football tonight, Randall High and Palo Duro close out the regular season. The Raiders have already locked up a playoff berth but the Dons are still fighting to get in. Palo Duro needs a win and then some help from other teams to have a shot at the postseason.
- The Thursday NFL matchup has the Seahawks at the Cardinals. Seattle had its 4-game winning streak snapped last week and is 5-3 heading into the contest tonight. Arizona is 4-4 and two games behind NFC West leader Los Angeles Rams.
- Ezekiel Elliott skipped his weekly media session because of more legal limbo in the star Dallas Cowboys running back's fight over the NFL's six-game suspension on alleged domestic violence. Yet another court hearing is set for Thursday in New York. The NFL's second-leading rusher is seeking another injunction. Thanks to three legal reprieves, Elliott hasn't missed any of the Cowboys' eight games.
- A person with knowledge of the situation says Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones has threatened to sue the NFL over a proposed contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell. The dispute apparently is sparked by star running back Ezekiel Elliott's six-game suspension over alleged domestic violence. Jones and the other 31 owners voted unanimously in May to approve a committee's negotiations on Goodell's extension. Goodell suspended Elliott in August after the NFL's yearlong investigation.
- Houston's Jose Altuve has been named outstanding player for the second straight season in Players Choice Awards balloting by the Major League Baseball Players Association. The Chicago Cubs' Anthony Rizzo earned Marvin Miller Man of the Year, given to the player who most inspires other players through on-field performances and community contributions. Altuve also was voted outstanding AL player for the second straight year, and Miami outfielder Giancarlo Stanton was the outstanding NL player.